Re: opening activities

---------

From: Andrea Dunmire (artshui_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 10:11:27 PDT

Leah wrote:

Hi. I'm interested in what all you elementary teachers do to signal the
beginning of class.

I meet my students in the hallway outside the art room, compliment them if
the line is quiet, and ask them to enter the art room and go to their seats
just as quietly.
When seated, I get their attention by saying, "I'd like your feet on the
floor, your knees pointed toward me, and lips together." After I have
everyone's attention, I ask for a volunteer to read the first art room rule.
They then choose another to read the second rule. This continues until
all 4 rules are read. (I have found that reinforcing this each class really
improves behavior.)
At this point I usually begin by asking questions about what was learned/
discussed/ discovered the week before. I reward correct answers with an
"Art Award" (Could be anything- I made mine by attaching small reproductions
to fadeless paper and labeling them with the artist's name and title of the
work.) Students are always eager to earn them and are very eager to recall
learned information. These are continually given out during class for great
behavior and work. At the end of the class, the table with the most awards
lines up first and gets a sticker.

Andrea in Pa.
- to contact me directly use artshui@hotmail.com