RE: honor roll vs behavior

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 06:18:26 PDT

> Batmom said: our school district is considering not graduating
> anyone with
> an average below C.
>
> I think this is a great idea. I am SO tired of social promotion..........
> I have actually been told about certain students, "Don't fail 'em
> or you'll
> have them again next year; just give 'em a D...."

I agree with Batmom's school district. This passing kids through just to
get rid of them is a large part of our educational problem, and has the
consequential effect of dumping kids out into society unprepared for civic
life, employment, etc.

I may have mentioned that we enrolled our daughter into an internet school
(Christa McAuliffe Academy - http://www.cmacademy.org). They REQUIRE an 80%
Mastery level to pass any subject area.

Too often, lowering the standards for the children means that we as teachers
and schools don't need to put out the extra effort to reach the difficult
ones. And if we've given up on them, they will give up on themselves.

Lar