Re: FYI...ISP's ?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 20:43:26 PDT

croberts wrote:

> Maggie...where do you find the ISP location number?
> Carolyn
>
> Send their abuse
> >dept. a copy of the complete headers along with the message and
> >complain. The ISPs are usually very responsive, although you won't
> >always get a personal reponse; spam hurts them, too, and they want to
> >get rid of it.
> >Maggie

OMIGOD! I can teach CAROLYN something about computers!!! You will have
to turn on the full headers in order to see the ISP number. In
Netscape, I just click on View, then Headers, then All. You will see
something along these lines (the following is from actual spam):

(SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4) id LAA22123; Fri, 29
Sep 2000 11:38:31 +0800

plus much more. If you look at the second REceived line, you'll see the
ISP # 202.96.119.210. Spammers generally use fake e-mail addresses, so
you can't always go by that. The ISP # is more reliable.

You probably can't stop spam entirely. My understanding of it is that
if you have posted on a Usenet newsgroup, a spammer can use software to
cruise around the ngs and gather e-mail addresses, which they then sell
to other spammers, so your name and address gets passed around. Most ng
participants will add a spam-blocker to their e-mail address to avoid
this. Or, giving your e-mail address to a company on-line can make you
a target. Always read the company's Privacy Policy to see if they share
or sell e-mail addresses.

Most ISPs will either severely restrict a spammer's access or pull the
plug on 'em entirely. Of course, they can just sign up with another,
but you can sure inconvenience or embarass him. Imagine a spammer who's
using his work e-mail to send spam (as a TAMU employee did, and someone
from a dentist's office) being found out because you took the time to
let the ISP know. Ahh, satisfaction.

Maggie