Preview of NAEA 2001

---------

From: Nancy Walkup (walkup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 08:24:09 PDT

NAEA 2001 Convention: New York City

In Celebrating Diversity, Building Community, Ernest Boyer detailed his Human Commonalities, eight universal cultural concepts that share common ground between all humankind, both past and present. One of these is focused on time and space: all people have the capacity to recall the past and anticipate the future, a unique capacity to look both forward and back in time. As we move further into the new millennium, it seems fitting to embrace this concept as the theme of NAEA 2001. Such perspectives will be shared through our guest speakers Christo and Jeanne-Claude, Raymond Nasher, and Robert T. McCall.

Christo and Jeanne-Claude are known for their monumental environmental installations such as their work in progress, The Gates Project for Central Park. Raymond Nasher is an art patron for our contemporary times who possesses one of the most significant collections of modern sculpture in the world. Robert McCall is an artist described by Isaac Asimov as "the nearest thing to an artist in residence for outer space." He has documentedthe NASA space program for 35 years and has worked on movies such as 2001.

Throughout the convention you will be afforded a wealth of other opportunities to recall past successes and anticipate new developments in art education in a metropolis filled to the brim with museums. Pack your bags lightly and wear your walking shoes. We welcome you to New York City!

All of Boyer's Human Commonalities are available online at http://www.cpdc.k12.ca.us/briefs/007/index.html.

Also, the Binney& Smith gala will be on Wednesday night at Liberty State Park. Tours will be on Wednesday all day and Sunday afternoon.

Nancy