Re: FYI...

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 07:20:39 PDT

jaugusta@adelphia.net wrote:

> Nnaell@aol.com wrote:
> > Everytime I got one of those unwated mails, I sent a
> > note to AOL (my service provider) and I also sent a note to the sleezoid who
> > sent me the letter.
>
> Most internet savvy people advise *against* responding to unwanted email
> solicitations, since a response indicates they have a live email address
> to work with and may pass it along to others.

This is true. You should never respond to spam! A better way to take
action is to view the complete headers and find out the real ISP from
which it originated. Some of the spammers are pretty good and disguise
the _name_ of their ISPs, but not the ISP location number (which is
usually four groups of numbers separated by a dot: 113.234.23.456) If
you're rabid about it like I am, you can go to an NSLookup and type in
the number, which will give you the name of the ISP. Send their abuse
dept. a copy of the complete headers along with the message and
complain. The ISPs are usually very responsive, although you won't
always get a personal reponse; spam hurts them, too, and they want to
get rid of it.

Maggie