Re(2): abortion

---------

From: Ann Carolan (acarolan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 05:48:31 PDT

Christa, thanks for the respectful and opentone of your letter. It helps keep the discussion open and seeks the truthof the matter. We need to get past the "cliches" and the slogansthat bear false witness. For example, a woman's "right to choose" issue. I do not have the right to take a child, or elderly person's life.All law is based on the rights of people to "life, liberty ....."

We become totalitarian when we refuse to accept this premise. Now,we have accepted this only when the life of the child is inside the womb. Leonardo Da Vinci, centuries ago drew a perfect child within a womb. We know this child can live and function after a certain number of weeks, yet, westill allow that child's life, even up to the moment of "partial birth" to be taken by a doctor, midwife or individual licensed to do this by the state. Soon any mother will be able to do this early on in pregnancy

Would you not at least concede that at some point in this gestation it is wrong, say partial-birth?

If not we have no "common ground" as you are denying the "child's right" to live once it's life is viable.

Secondly, I don't know anyone who can anticipate the consequences of an abortion psychologically, mentally or physically. We haven't been given all the facts. We do know the VD epidemic is raging. I would think that would be enough to more closely examine our "cliches" and our faulty logic on this matter. The end never justifies the meansThis is Aristotelian logic which should be again resurrected in our culture. Logical thinking is not taught today.

Thank you for sharing yourviews.
ann carolan