Re: Picasso's 5 colors

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 05:17:57 PDT

Picasso's 5 colors

Just so some are not presumptuous...while I do not use black in my landscape
paintings, they are appropriate for some illustration works of mine.
Regardless...I don't impose my preferences upon my students in denying them
exploration of the pigment, black. I try to teach a balanced
understanding...and of course, we all know black is a shade. I teach the
triangle relationships which helps understand all artist's leanings of color
usage throughout the ages, that with white on one point....color on
another.....black on the final point. In the center is tone.

I do teach them though...that no shadow in nature prevents atmospheric light
from entering, thus every shadow is yet influenced by color. Black kills
the drama that color posits the potential of. Such use invites the young
artist next to think that making something "brighter" comes by adding more
white!

peace,

Larry Seiler
http://lseiler.artistnation.com