TAAS and "testing" in art

---------

From: Nancy Walkup (walkup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 07:38:30 PDT

The TAAS (Texas Assessment of Academic Skills)-formated exercises Pam was explaining were never intended as "tests" in the artroom, other than as a representation of students' understanding. We recommend their use as a vehicle for class discussion at the end of a lesson as a kind of review or closure (they only take a few minutes). And, the educational objectives for other subjects they address are already objectives we use in art. For example, a 4th grade reading objective is "the student will recognize points of view." This is expressed in art in a number of ways - as a narrative voice or from different perspectives (bird's eye view, normal view, or worm's eye view). We already teach these concepts in art, but we may not recognize it in terms of other subject areas.

Nancy