RE: reimbursement for conferences

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 04:57:45 PDT

We have done it several ways -
A few years ago our board budgeted funds for teachers to attend
conferences... there was a teacher committee to review requests (no one was
turned down, it was just to make sure the money was there.) It paid for
registration, transportation, lodging and a set amount per day for meals.

Then it went to the superintendent (one school district, his office is in
the school, not the same as a HUGE district)... some guidelines - you
couldn't attend two National conferences in a row.. I got by once because
the national math conference was in Indy one year and Boston the next and I
presented at both, but I had to justify it to the board.

Now the board is out of money but our PTA is funding conferences - state,
regional, national. Our entire middle school (all 8 teachers) will be going
to the national middle school conference - subs will be a problem, but
everything will be covered. There must be other money out there too - We
have 5 or 6 teachers going to South Carolina in a couple of weeks to visit a
school for a day - several will be going to Boston later.

I don't know of any teacher that was told no about attending a conference
(we even had several teachers travel to China last year for a Math
conference.) Our principal will find the money. And the subs.

Before KERA (10 years ago) I can't remember a teacher at our school
traveling to a conference - even a one day local.
Ellen