Advoiding Viruses was RE: what a nightmare

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 20:33:13 PDT

The first thing most people get a virus from a friend who does not know
his/her computer is contaminated, your are not insulting a friend by running
a virus check on something your receive from a friends account. The last two
viruses I cleaned off of SAMFA computers, the excuse was I got from X and
she would never send me a virus (two different staff members). Here are some
hints to avoid them.

1. Keep your anti-virus program updated (once a week when you defragment ,
scanning your disk, and backing up all data is good)
2. When you get anything from anyone be by e-mail or on disk, RUN THE VIRUS
CHECK!!!! First make sure you have your e-mail set up, so it won't
automatically open attachments. For e-mail right click on the attachment
chose save to disk WITHOUT OPENING IT. Save it to the desktop or a floppy.
Go to where you saved it right click and choose run virus check. For
something on a disk put it in the drive. Go to My Computer, right click on
the drive, run virus check.
3. There are ways to back up your bookmarks/favorites to disk, but I can't
remember them right now. Also there are several sites on the web were you
can backup your bookmarks/favorites. I use My Yahoo to back up mine. The
advantage of these sites is that if you are on another computer you can
access your bookmarks/favorites. I do this at work all the time, someone
will need info off a site I sent them and they didn't save it.
4. PLEASE NOTE: just because an attachment ends jpeg or gif it does not mean
it really is one. So even if someone is sending what appears to be a
picture, still run a virus check.

If we don't get a new system soon, where I can update the virus check for
the whole system and defrag, and scan, and back up you will hear a dull roar
followed by crash and splash as I throw the hodge podge we are working with
out the 15th story of the cactus hotel and into the Concho River.

Staff member, "Kimberly My computer is slow"
Kimberly "have you emptied your recycle bin in the last month, or
defragmented and scanned your hard drive"
Staff member, "I don't have time"
Kimberly starts walking in circles muttering to herself "they don't have
time, they don't have time"

Kimberly (kimberly@wcc.net)
BTW I do like my co-workers and my job it is just that the kids sometimes
seem more mature than the adults.