Re: TAAS? and testing........

---------

From: Debbie Nicholas (deeknik_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 15:13:25 PDT

Charlotte Griswold wrote:
"We also read in the paper that our entire staff will
receive $800 a
piece for meeting and exceed our state mandated
goals."

I wish the state of Texas would give us $800. My
district is ranked exemplary for the second year in a
row. Very few districts in our state have received
this "honor." When we return to school after the
Christmas holidays a trial verision of the TAAS will
be given. These results will be analyzed then we will
begin a modified school day. The time for
silent-sustained reading (15 minutes) and Channel One
(10 minutes) will be taken away for 4 days a week.
This time will be used at the end of the day for a
special tutoring time. Students will go to different
classes different days for remediation. This is much
better than the pull-out method used in the past.
With the pull-out method students would not go to
their afternoon classes and report instead to special
tutoring. Then they would get behind in their regular
classes.
We don't have chants but we do have pep rallys the day
of the TAAS and all students are fed breakfast and
given snacks.
The majority of the students are glad when the testing
date gets here so the teachers will stop talking about
the test. The students who pass the test are
rewarded. The eighth graders go to Six Flags, the 7th
graders to Cart World and the 6th graders go to
Sci-Port.
There is a place on the teacher evaluations where the
district's or campus' (can't remember which)TAAS
results count.

=====
Debbie
NE Texas