FW: Amate painting

---------

From: mdecker (mdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 09:32:29 PDT

I sent this to Lisa already...thought I would share it with others who may
be interested.

Amate is a hand made paper from Mexico. The Aztec and Maya used it. The pulp
comes from a tree--the Amatle (or something like that). I have had my
students (3rd graders) paint on a handmade paper pulp comprised of brown
grocery bags, abaca (banana fiber), gampi (a bark fiber) and brown yarn
threads (to resemble the amatle bark threads). Actually amate can be a range
of natural tones--I just made our pulp to match my sample from Mexico. The
lighter colors look a lot like the Tapa bark cloth from Samoa....The darker
colors look a lot like the bark cloth from Africa.

http://livelyarts.com/index.html

http://www.casamexicanafolkart.com/p0000226.html

These are just two sites I have on my Web page. Since this is something I am
also interested in, I will let you know of additional sites I find.

I have some actual samples I would be willing to share, unfortunately, they
are at my school and I do not have access to them. Anyone wishing to borrow
my samples, may send your snail mail address. I will let you know when I can
make them available (no promises).

Judy Decker