Oil of wintergreen-- Gum Arabic-- Politics

---------

From: mdecker (mdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 08:31:11 PDT

Oh boy, you folks gave me something to talk about today!

Oil of wintergreen (available in drug stores or in the health and beauty aid
section of your grocery store) is good for transfers, adding to paper mache
paste, and for adding to paper pulp. I have added the oil to my abaca pulp
to keep the smell down (abaca is from the banana plant---you know how
organic material can smell after a day or so).

Here is another way to transfer the photocopy (for those who have an etching
press). Place the image face down on the surface you want to receive the
transfer. Put the oil on a paper towel the same size of the image. Cover
this with some scrap paper (to protect the felts). Turn through the press to
transfer uniform image. I learned this at Arrowmont (Gatlinburg, Tenn.).

Gum Arabic is used in glazes to help them adhere to the pot. It is available
from Amaco (but usually not listed with the glazes in art supply catalogs).
It is also use in lithography (and litho-sketch plate protector), so is
available from Daniel Smith (Thanks, Woody!--an excellent source of graphic
materials!). I believe I bought my Gum Arabic from Dick Blick (but it was
somewhat diluted and did not work as well). Gum Arabic is also used in water
color pigments (am I right?). I have seen it with the fine art supplies in
arts' and crafts' stores. I know I suggested last year to some to put Gum
Arabic on the Plexiglas first then let dry if you are doing monoprints with
water base paints and Caran d'Asche (sp?) crayons. This helps with adhesion
of the water colors... and aids the release of the crayons. Again...I
learned this in a class at Arrowmont.

On politics. Thank you to Sharon, Bunki and Joseph for trying to get our
comments on a more professional level. I personally was getting tired of the
personal conversations between members expressing political views. I have no
objection to those posting web sites where we can see the facts for
ourselves (I believe last year Michelle had a good one?). I think most of us
list members have our minds made up by now and I think we deserve to extend
a courtesy to our international members to keep comments professional. We
are reaching all ends of the globe. Understand, I do not mean to offend
anyone. I have had fun "talking" to many of you privately on this topic.

Glad to be of help to all of you today.

Judy Decker

P.S. OK...You are right...I am the little "Art Elf" with too much time on
her hands right now.