Re: Clay masks

---------

From: Davis, Lisa (davisli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 08:07:07 PDT

I did a lesson with 7th and 8th graders using plaster wrap (old cast bandage strips). Kids got into groups of 3, and took turns making laying the strips on to each other's faces. One students cut the strips, the second wetted the strips and placed them CAREFULLY on the third student's face. When all three students had a finished mask (based on their face), they used small balls of newspaper or clay (covered in more plaster wrap) to build up shapes and textures. When the kids had their mask built up the way they wanted it, they painted it with a wash of thin plaster to even out all of the lumps and dips. They could sand it with sandpaper, if they chose. The product was pretty good. I prefer fired clay masks, but the plaster wrap is a decent alternative. Kids loved the process of making masks of their faces, too.

>>> Chandra <chandra@p2.acadia.net> 10/09/00 08:25AM >>>
Hi, I would like to do clay masks, but only have self drying clay, because
of no kiln. Has anyone ever made masks from self-drying clay? Does it
work? or do they fall apart? Any tips? I was trying to avoid Paper Mache.
I have celluclay, and was wondering also if it might work to use tagboard
as a base with celluclay attachments for nose etc. Let me know if anyone
has any mask tips besides paper mache. I've just been doing it, and it's
intensive work for me. Thanks , chandra in cold, rainy, maine.

---
You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: davisli@LODI.k12.WI.US