Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: oil of wintergreen warning/alternative

From: Judy Nagel (jdnag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 07:58:16 PDT

FYI I have asked our resident expert about this subject and this is the
response I received:

Hmmm. I would wonder why you would need a preservative unless you were
storing the wet pulp for extended periods of time. Paper's longevity is due
to it's ph level and fiber content. Methyl Cellulose is a glue-like
substance used to strengthen paper when doing sculpture. It also acts as a
sizing. It's not necessary for papers that are not painted on. Retention Aid
makes the paper more receptive to color. I don't think it is a preservative.
I found some web sites that talk about additives. Perhaps they will help. I
couldn't find a preservative listed. Just a note, preservatives are
typically somewhat hazardous.
Hope this helps!