Re: Gore lies-Bush what?

---------

From: Terilynn Sanford (terimason_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 07:24:00 PDT

Teresa,
I'm sorry to hear about conditions near our border.
What have your local officials done about it? Since
class size is a law, you should find out why they are
circumventing this. OR is it only during specials
that the classes are larger (ie: you teach a class and
a half at a time)? We also do that for PE, since the
gym is bigger than our rooms. When Bush gave us all a
$3000 raise, what was your district doing? I don't
see how they could refuse, and it does come out to
more than $100 per month, even with the max taken out
of taxes! You need to look at how your school board
is managing their district! Sounds fishy to me!
--- Tsheffey@aol.com wrote:

I've been determined to stay out of this but I HAD
to comment on this one. I
don't know where you teach but in El Paso, TX I have
33-34 students in each
of my art classes. My budget is puny and when I
asked to go to a National
Symposium that was local which would cost my school
$30, it was denied. And
that's in Bush's "Year of Art Education." And my pay
raise amounted to
another $100 a month. My sister, who dropped out of
college when we were both
attending makes twice what I make.
Maybe you are in a good part of Texas, but here at
the border, Bush is not
well thought of by many teachers. In fact, we all
wonder half the time why we
became teachers in the first place. We have
mandatory testing(TAAS) and the
teachers only teach that and the test scores are
awful.
Personally, I don't think either candidate will fix
all the problems in the
public schools but beware of Bush's claims to be the
education president.
Education is a mess here at the border.
Teresa Sheffey in El Paso, TX