RE: California STAR.....

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 05:28:23 PDT

> > Bunki, I think I remember that last year your school/district gave the
> > kids peppermint candy because it would help them perform better on the
> > test? did it?

Ahh - peppermint candy during testing - our state pushed it too - and don't
forget those testing PREP rallies - how about the orange juice and muffins
at test break?

> > We also read in the paper that our entire staff will receive $800 a
> > piece for meeting and exceed our state mandated goals.

Our state wasn't prepared either - then it was up to teachers on how to
divide the rewards - give it back to the school? set up special funds -
elaborate reward points (part time/full time/ here during one year of the
testing cycle? to years? support staff? bus drivers?) Some teachers who
were there during part of the cycle and then left were suing to receive
money - What a mess - it really made teachers look greedy (and after those
2% raises too) -

Now reward money and how it is spent is up to School Based Councils - but
our school is one of the few in the state that doesn't have one (we are a
one school disctrict so we are exempt from a state sanctioned SBDM - we have
one in name only) -so it is up to our principal...
It's really not worth it -
Ellen