too many kids......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 12:05:03 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
*
>From: PGStephens@aol.com
> K- grade 4 has a class size cap of 22 students although in certain instances
> (e.g., not enough teachers, not enough space) these caps can be removed on an
> emergency basis. Right now my school is maxed out in first grade. Any new
> students who move into our zone are forced to enroll in another school.
> Grades 5 and up have no caps, although in my district we try to keep the
> number at 25 or less. > Pam
*

In CA we have a cap of 20 in 3rd and under grades. We solved the "room"
problem by eleminating (remember...there are VERY few elem. art
teachers...must less artrooms) elem. computer labs, stage space, broom
closets, bathrooms (well...almost) and hiring anything/anyone to staff these
classes (there went the sub pool) plus murkier waters. Now...discussing the
4th grade up is another story. No holds barred. I have 38 in my fullest
class and 34 in my smallest class. This is the norm. HIgh school classes are
running 38-40 or more and sit on the floor (and we are a well-heeled
district). Local school bond measures take 66 and 1/3 to pass (with a
strong, vocal "anti" group of citizens in our community lead by a former
school board member who was recalled) so we can't get any relief with new
schools or even to get the older ones fixed. It's a problem that won't go
away anytime soon. Tood......