Re: TAAS? and testing........

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 11:44:20 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
*

>From: PGStephens@aol.com
>I haven't seen the chanting at my school, but > occasionally on the local news
we'll see schools having TAAS pep rallies and > such.

We had a motivational speaker come in two years ago for the kids (assembly)
and teachers had to glued stars all over the buildings of our mid. school.
Your TAAS sounds like our STAR but, I think, Texas is taking it to another
level...and we seem to heading there ourselves.

> This year we have some new rules, among them (1) that ESL students will only
> be exempt from TAAS for the first 12 months that they are in the ESL
program...

Our ESL students MUST take the same test as the rest of the school. We have
alot of Asian/Pacific students here as well as from India.

> I do not see TAAS as pulling down my subject area. > Actually, I decided a
year or so ago to use TAAS to my best advantage and > developed a TAAS
formatted approach to investigating works of art. The > format looks
similar to TAAS, but the written material is about an artist or > work of
art and the questions relate directly to looking closely at and >
interpreting artworks. This approach has proven itself to be highly >
successful.

Not to be nickpicky but I'm really interested in what you're saying. How are
you developing a format that takes advantage of TAAS? Will you be more
explicit about this please?

>In a recent > article, the principal credits the arts as being one of the
primary factors > that brought up their scores. Not a bad nod to the power
of the visual arts.

Again...please explain to us how and why this occurred. Thanks
oodles...toodles