Art from Living Things

---------

From: mscurfield (mscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 11:21:06 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C0312A.9DAB2380

Dear Jennifer and all,

We just finished making prints of leaves. One little boy asked me, "Mrs.
Green, do we HAVE to use leaves? I just think it is wrong to make art =
out of
living things." Boy, did that crush my ego! (BTW - there is no religious
reference to his statement- he's just a sweet kid.)

Jennifer in Michigan

Actually, isn't a leaf which has fallen from a tree in the same category =
of "living things" as hair cut from your head? It doesn't hurt the tree =
to use its discarded leaves to make art. Now if the art project =
included chopping down the tree, that would be different. Using leaves =
to make art should inspire an appreciation for trees and leaves, =
therefore promoting their welfare. =20

I don't really like to make art from foodstuffs that won't be eaten, =
which seems wasteful. However last year at the supermarket I was given a =
20 pound bag of potatoes which were otherwise going to the landfill, so =
we did potato prints.

Sincerely, Marcia, Derby, KS

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C0312A.9DAB2380

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear Jennifer and all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><EM><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We just finished making prints of =
leaves. One=20
little boy asked me, "Mrs.<BR>Green, do we HAVE to use leaves? I just =
think it=20
is wrong to make art out of<BR>living things." Boy, did that crush my =
ego! (BTW=20
- there is no religious<BR>reference to his statement- he's just a sweet =

kid.)<BR><BR>Jennifer in Michigan<BR><BR></FONT></EM><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>Actually, isn't a leaf which has fallen from a tree in the same =
category=20
of "living things" as hair cut from your head?&nbsp; It doesn't hurt the =
tree to=20
use its discarded leaves to make art.&nbsp; Now if the art project =
included=20
chopping down the tree, that would be different.&nbsp; Using leaves to =
make art=20
should&nbsp;inspire an appreciation for trees and leaves, therefore =
promoting=20
their welfare.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't really like to make art from =
foodstuffs=20
that won't be eaten, which seems wasteful.&nbsp;However last year at the =

supermarket I was given a 20 pound bag of potatoes which were otherwise =
going to=20
the landfill, so we did potato prints.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sincerely, Marcia, Derby,=20
KS</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C0312A.9DAB2380--