Columbus - Spanish?

---------

Rdunkelart_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 08:53:34 PDT

This follows some information from several teachers esp. Larry Sielers. A
friend in
Texas found the following. Roberta

In a message dated 10/8/00 10:25:06 AM Central Daylight Time, JudyC1994
writes:

<< Footnote:
I checked my trusty Britannica and it informed me that evidence of
Columbus' early life is sparce and open to many interpretations. Most likely,
he was born of a Spanish-Jewish family that settled in Genoa, Italy. From
Columbus' writings, he says he began to navigate at 14. When he was involved
in a battle off Cape St. Vincent in 1476, his ship took fire and he swam to
the Portugese shore. From then he fought on the Portugese side, against
Genoa, demonstrating that he was not a Genoese patriot. He never returned to
Genoa. There is no explicit statement by him declaring himself a Genoese. He
never wrote in any form of Italian, not even in personal letters and private
notes, but always in Spanish. When he used Latin words or phrases, the
mistakes he made were definitely Hispanisms. He (and his brothers as well)
used the Hispanicized surname, Colón.

attached mail follows:

In general, are people angrier now..... or just crazier?

From the news, the following:

"Columbus Day prompts fear in Denver

DENVER (AP) - The city's first Columbus Day parade in nearly a decade has
stirred fears of violence this weekend between Italian-Americans on one side
and Hispanics and American Indians on the other. The city hasn't held the
parade since 1991 due to concerns that groups who believe Christopher
Columbus was a killer and slave trader would clash with marchers. This year,
under a federally mediated pact, Denver's Italian community had agreed to
call Saturday's celebration an Italian Pride parade and make no mention of
Columbus. But that pact collapsed as Italian-Americans vowed to keep
Columbus' name in the event and activists promised to show up."

Would someone please tell me what the Italian-Americans have to do with
Columbus? If memory serves, Columbus was Portuguese by birth and sailed for
Queen Isabella of Spain. Why are the Italians making any claim to him?

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher/Educational Consultant
The Ohio Center for Critical Thinking Instruction
http://www.acorn.net/lists-ht/occti.html