Re: Gore lies-Bush what?

---------

Tsheffey_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 08:46:22 PDT

In a message dated 10/8/00 6:44:13 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
terimason@yahoo.com writes:

> What is your average class size now? Ours in TX is 22
> or less in the elem. level. What have Clinton/Gore
> done to reduce class size in 8 years? And where are
> the pay raises they promised way back in 92? I've
> been teaching all that time and haven't seen any
> raise. Oh wait, Bush gave us a raise last year! The
> only one teachers have gotten in almost 20 years in
> TX. Hmmmmm.....

I've been determined to stay out of this but I HAD to comment on this one. I
don't know where you teach but in El Paso, TX I have 33-34 students in each
of my art classes. My budget is puny and when I asked to go to a National
Symposium that was local which would cost my school $30, it was denied. And
that's in Bush's "Year of Art Education." And my pay raise amounted to
another $100 a month. My sister, who dropped out of college when we were both
attending makes twice what I make.
Maybe you are in a good part of Texas, but here at the border, Bush is not
well thought of by many teachers. In fact, we all wonder half the time why we
became teachers in the first place. We have mandatory testing(TAAS) and the
teachers only teach that and the test scores are awful.
Personally, I don't think either candidate will fix all the problems in the
public schools but beware of Bush's claims to be the education president.
Education is a mess here at the border.
Teresa Sheffey in El Paso, TX