FW: How Government Works

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 09:34:29 PDT

============
How Government Works
--------------------
Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a
desert.

Congress said, "Someone may steal from it at night." So they created a night
watchman position and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?"
So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to
write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks
correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two
people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So they
created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, then
hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So
they created an administrative section and hired three people, an
Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal
Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one year and
we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost." So they laid off
the night watchman.