murals

---------

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 08:08:07 PDT

Last year I had my art club students (8th graders) do a mural of "Starry
Night". This year I want my studio students to also complete a mural
that would be placed in the board of ed. office. I would like it to be
based on painting but I remember a thread from last summer about
copyright issues. But I don't think there was a final word on this
topic. Reproducing the painting will be, by the very nature of the
students, an interpretation. Each student will complete one section on
their own canvas panel and then all panels will be mounted together on a
board.

I was also thinking of taking a photo of a landscape that is local to us
and doing it in the style of Van Gogh. would that be better?

Part of my thinking of using actual paintings to reproduce is to really
have them explore the colors the artist used and to also have a record
within the school not just of students art but of paintings of artists
throughout history. For example, near the gym there is a very large
blank wall and to have a painting by Jacob lawrence with athletes and
sports as the theme.

So, what do you think? I love the wealth of knowledge that is available
on this site!
Yvette