RE: Gingerbread house

---------

From: J+G Grant (jggrant_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 16:33:09 PDT

Several years ago, an artist asked if my students could participate in an idea he had. He created about ten houses for them to work on (I think they were pine wood but I could be wrong) and made up the royal icing which they then had a great deal of fun spreading over the houses. A local supermarket donated huge amounts of sweets which they then decorated the houses with. The result was incredible. Each house was amazingly different and when put into his installation along with his own and other artists interpretations it was mind blowing. Each child got their house back - the thing was that you had to make sure the ants and the mice did not find their way to them. Most lasted several years (with judicious amounts of hairspray and other pest repellant ideas) before they went to the great hereafter. Not exactly what you wanted to know but your post brought back memories. Oh, and the left over sweets were a huge success!
Gina
Melbourne