Re: Art Teachers/ Artists

---------

From: Susan Bennett (sbennett_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 11:57:30 PDT

I know this thread is a little past by now. I responded earlier and had a
failed delivery. I agree with Mark about letting kids see your struggle
with something and about the artist that could wow you. This past year I
had a professsional artist as my student teacher. She was a fantastic
artist hard worked and I thought would make a great teacher. She was this
with student teaching. I kept hounding my school system to hire her the
first chance we had. She was hired for a part time job, plus was student
teaching in a 1/2 day situation for regular ed. She did the student
teaching in the am., taught one class a day in my room and then went for an
80 minute block to the Middle school. The student teaching was only to last
for 12 weeks. So from then on it would have been a 1/2 day job, with a
possible Kindergarden student teaching in the fall. I tell you all this to
be fair to her, it was going to be stressful. She left my school on her
SECOND day of real teaching, saying she loved what she was doing. Went to
the middle school to teach, came home called the central sub line and left a
message that she quit. She quit after 2 days. Her art work is fantastic,
but she said that she knows that she could never be a teacher. I am an
teacher who loves the arts, but always wanted to be a teacher, not an artist
who was forced into teaching for economical reasons. I think this is best
for children in the long run. Susan in Ohio