RE: This isn't a political forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 10:54:51 PDT

Susan,
I have to disagree with you. Education is a political issue. While I'm not
fond of some forms this takes, like slamming candidates with lists. I do
believe teachers especially those concerned with art education, must pay
attention to politics and be active advocates for those who actually work
for our children and stand against those who just pay lip service. BTW I
don't think criticizing George W. Bush on education reform, funding would
offend any teachers from Texas on this list or off.

Just a few Educational Political Issues

First Amendment - Can the government regulate art (music, visual,
literature, film) for the safety of our children and the moral development
of our country? Can government funds go to religious schools in the form of
vouchers? Can administrators, school board members, other locally elected
office holders, and moral authorities regulate teachers' political and
personal (including in their own art) "speech" outside the classroom by
implied or overt threats to the teachers' jobs? Can schools censor students'
expression on or off campus and to what extent? Can schools use "profiling"
to identify dangerous students? (Please note that the FBI's experts on
profiling say the methods they used to help narrow the search for criminals
after a crime cannot be used to predict violent behavior before a crime,
because many of the people who fit a general profile will not commit a
crime. Adolescents are more unpredictable that younger or older people
because of the natural emotional upheaval at that age.)

Funding - Getting sufficient funding for children's educations including
having safe buildings, decent wages for all employees, enough supplies for
the year? Funding at the national and state level for arts and humanities
and how that funding will be used. (The Texas Commission on the Arts is
funded (partially or complete I'm unsure of) by "State of the Arts" license
plates. Reasoning is that this way only those who want to support the arts
pay taxes towards the arts)

Educational Reform - What is reform? What has worked? What is just juggling
statistics?

Zero Tolerance - What is for the safety of students and teachers? What is
just a lack of commonsense? What is a violation of first amendment rights?

Respectfully,
Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator