Fwd: art vs craft/intelligence?

---------

Batmom44_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 08:19:48 PDT

In a message dated 10/7/00 10:16:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lseiler@ez-net.com writes:

<< the problem is not so much a
lack of intelligence, but a consistent lack of what to do with that
intelligence beyond the rote of their daily instruction. In short...the
arts teach people to "be" and celebrate "being" alive. >>

Take intelligence, and combine it with passion for living....and you have
for the most part the difference I feel you are thinking of.

I think you completely misunderstood my statement. I apologize for not making
myself clear.
I did not imply that art teachers suffer from a lack of intelligence. My
statement concerned the attitude of the rest of the faculty and the public in
general that artists/art teachers do or teach art because they are not
intelligent enough to do otherwise. Since art is a problem solving situation,
and problem solving is the highest level of learning and application of
learning, it seems to follow that artists and art teachers must have pretty
high intelligence levels. It is therefore the ignorance and/or stupidity of
the rest of the faculty and the public in general that comes into question.
That was my point. That would be the only difference I would be thinking of.
Nor do I agree with your statement that the problem is a lack of something to
do with their intelligence beyond the "rote of their instruction". First of
all heaven help the students subjected to the "rote" of anyone's instruction.
Rote should play no part in instruction in any subject. Furthermore most of
the people on this list seem to be very involved in things outside their
classroom. I myself have a very busy other life.

I will agree with you that a very real difference between the rest of the
faculty and the public in general and artists and art teachers would be our
ability to live life to the fullest. And that would be another indication of
the higher level of intelligence.

attached mail follows:

> "Hmmm, maybe Art takes more intelligence than I thought."?
> I guess the problem is their intelligence or lack thereof.
> Reatha

Reatha...

I think the arts demand "feeling" and "paying attention" to life in general,
as we then use the arts to "respond." Thus...artists, art teachers, etc.,
have this natural conduit and grasp on life itself. This is where I think
the arts in fact, are the supreme academic. We encourage people to absorb
understanding in every area, (all academics) such that a ready resource is
available to pool and use thereafter (reflection) to make
judgments/statements of expression. People become impassioned with vision
when they carry expectation such expressions ought to have impact on their
viewers.

Seeing this therefore "bigger picture" from which expression is made,
artists/art teachers tend to be very spiritual people, or engaged in a sense
of that beyond and higher than themselves... whether it be a cause, the
cause of a higher Being, etc; in essence...the problem is not so much a
lack of intelligence, but a consistent lack of what to do with that
intelligence beyond the rote of their daily instruction. In short...the
arts teach people to "be" and celebrate "being" alive. This habit of
celebration in the end makes such people more alive. More impassioned.
Take intelligence, and combine it with passion for living....and you have
for the most part the difference I feel you are thinking of.

Larry Seiler
http://lseiler.artistnation.com

---
You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: batmom44@aol.com