Re: art vs craft/intelligence?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 07:15:43 PDT

> "Hmmm, maybe Art takes more intelligence than I thought."?
> I guess the problem is their intelligence or lack thereof.
> Reatha

Reatha...

I think the arts demand "feeling" and "paying attention" to life in general,
as we then use the arts to "respond." Thus...artists, art teachers, etc.,
have this natural conduit and grasp on life itself. This is where I think
the arts in fact, are the supreme academic. We encourage people to absorb
understanding in every area, (all academics) such that a ready resource is
available to pool and use thereafter (reflection) to make
judgments/statements of expression. People become impassioned with vision
when they carry expectation such expressions ought to have impact on their
viewers.

Seeing this therefore "bigger picture" from which expression is made,
artists/art teachers tend to be very spiritual people, or engaged in a sense
of that beyond and higher than themselves... whether it be a cause, the
cause of a higher Being, etc; in essence...the problem is not so much a
lack of intelligence, but a consistent lack of what to do with that
intelligence beyond the rote of their daily instruction. In short...the
arts teach people to "be" and celebrate "being" alive. This habit of
celebration in the end makes such people more alive. More impassioned.
Take intelligence, and combine it with passion for living....and you have
for the most part the difference I feel you are thinking of.

Larry Seiler
http://lseiler.artistnation.com