still life and music

---------

From: Christine Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 16:26:16 PDT

Hi
I play music during the daily double period (9 - 10:40 am)
which I have with Grade 10 & 11, and, this year I have decided to
focus upon life drawing. In addition to the double, I see my classes
4 other "hours" in the seven day cycle.

During that stretch I aim to have 3 students volunteer as
models, and I have a still life ready just in case. As expected
1/3 of the class could focus upon one model all morning, while 1/3
are "done" within 5 minutes, and the other third will stay on task
with encouragement. I give a 5 minute bathroom break to students
after an hour, and stop every 15 - 20 minutes to address one or two
difficulties that students might be having. As the room is crowded
(just about elbow to elbow) I also draw. At the end of the period I
ask that this work and other work completed in the past week be
passed in.

I find that "my" music is well tolerated during this time.
From previous experience, popular "top 40" music played too soon in
the year, stirs up too much excitement, but the less familiar
classics (vivaldi, adagios) symphonic (stravinski), instrumentals
(guitar, harp, drums), latin drumming, nature sounds (the sea, the
rainforest), celtic (Loreena macKinnet, enya), and some soundtracks
(How the west was won) are more sustaining. I have even overheard
some students ask others to turn down their 'discmans' (which I
allow) because their lyrics were distrcting.

As this is only my second year teaching I am pleased that
this seems to be working out. I appreciate being a member of this
list for it gives me access to many resources and peers. Thanks all.

christene

--
Rob and Christene Sandeson
Teacher & Artist