Re: Art Teachers/ Artists

---------

From: Terilynn Sanford (terimason_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 07:17:55 PDT

I would not consider myself an outstanding or talented
drawer, but I am a great art teacher. My drawing
skills are generally better than my students (k-5) but
what I tell them is that they need to practice,
practice, practice if they want to get good at
drawing. When I draw with them, I talk out what I am
thinking, teaching them to look "like an artist" and
find the shapes or lines they are going to draw,
rather than looking at the entire object (can be
overwhelming). In doing this, I have greatly improved
my own drawing (because on my own, I don't generally
practice!) and they also get to see my mistakes. I
tell them point blank when I have never drawn
something before and they enjoy watching MY process,
then trying it on their own.
teri
In fact, many students may need to