Check my history..

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 06:07:13 PDT

From the news, the following:

"Columbus Day prompts fear in Denver

DENVER (AP) - The city's first Columbus Day parade in nearly a decade has
stirred fears of violence this weekend between Italian-Americans on one side
and Hispanics and American Indians on the other. The city hasn't held the
parade since 1991 due to concerns that groups who believe Christopher
Columbus was a killer and slave trader would clash with marchers. This year,
under a federally mediated pact, Denver's Italian community had agreed to
call Saturday's celebration an Italian Pride parade and make no mention of
Columbus. But that pact collapsed as Italian-Americans vowed to keep
Columbus' name in the event and activists promised to show up."

Would someone please tell me what the Italian-Americans have to do with
Columbus? If memory serves, Columbus was Portuguese by birth and sailed for
Queen Isabella of Spain. Why are the Italians making any claim to him?

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher/Educational Consultant
The Ohio Center for Critical Thinking Instruction
http://www.acorn.net/lists-ht/occti.html
Truth, Honor and Courage