RE: printmaking with leaves!!

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 04:23:59 PDT

> and I am a senior at the University of WI-Eau Claire, and I am an art
> education major.

First of all, welcome Angie...I lived and worked in the Eau Claire area for
about eight years, and did my art teaching recertification at the UW there.
Small world.

> I am working on a lesson with some group members on printmaking
> with leaves, and it has to be for a 4th or 5th grade level. We were
thinking
> about making some sort of book to go along with the prints to make it more
> challenging...

See...what often doesn't come up in art ed classes at the college level are
the issues with class room management; the problem of many broken homes
which adds to discipline problems, etc; Many kids are impatient, but they
do tend to love painting. They seem in my experience to gain more patience
around the 4-6th grade level, but then for some reason lose it between the
8th and 9th grades. Wierd. Probably their attention swinging to focus on
the opposite sex, their pop culture, etc; let's say they pick up attitudes.

You might want to think about colaborating with the home room teachers that
would agree on an earth sciences lesson. Begin by explaining to the
children that you are going to look at one vocation that artists are
strongly needed and used for, and that is scientific illustration. Have a
medical book on hand, perhaps some nature books, etc; Show how
illustrations offer views of varying species, steps in changes (in this case
from one color to another). How artists combine text graphics to direct the
viewers to particulars, etc; Then...assign them to "illustrate" using your
watercolor method. Include laying down light pencil horizontal lines and
carefully letter their text. Use a good paper, and fully expect the wing of
the elementary building to put them on display.

I think a book sounds great because it is a huge undertaking which impresses
perhaps college profs, but your hands will be full with a full class of 5th
graders, IMHO, and the assignment as I laid it out could take 2-3 days, and
you might consider a visit to the library for the kids to search good
examples of artistic nature illustrations.

Good luck Angie!

Larry Seiler (in NE Wisconsin now)
http://lseiler.artistnation.com