Arts are alive in Kentucky

---------

From: BJ Berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 15:33:03 PDT

Dear Netters,
This was posted on the NEGP Weekly newsletter.
BJ Berquist

2.) * THE ARTS ARE ALIVE IN KENTUCKY: ART EDUCATION FLORISHES
(Goal Three: Student Achievement And Goal Four: Teacher Education and
Professional Development)

Kentucky's 1990 education reform act required that the arts are part of
every school's academic program and the law reinforced that mandate via
statewide exam. The CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR reports on the influence
the
Kentucky Center for the Arts (KCA), a state- and privately funded
organization, has had on bringing arts education to the classroom
(Newcomb,
10/3). Jeffrey Jamner, director and founder of KCA, offers schools
several
options for developing artistic talents and appreciation among students.
KCA provides daylong events that link educators with artists, two-week
seminars for educators and long-term relationships with schools to help
build strong arts programs, writes the MONITOR.

For example, KCA staff helps teachers use field trips to become an arts
trip. "We went to a working farm, circa 1850," explains Jamner. "We
all
square-danced by the barn [as the original occupants would have]. We
had
teachers improvising drama exercises."

For more information on the Kentucky Center for the Arts, visit
www.kca.org.

The NEGP WEEKLY is a publication of:
The National Education Goals Panel
1255 22nd Street NW, Suite 502