Re: Six pointed star - how?- Mark

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 10:02:28 PDT

I don't do any actual measuring when making six pointed stars or snowflakes.

1) Fold a paper in half (hamburger fold) and crease edge.
2) Find the center point of the creased edge, pinching firmly between thumb
and forefinger.
3) Curl the creased edge up on both sides, making the paper into a cone
shape. The center point of the creased edge will be the bottom point of the
cone.
4) Slowly begin flattening the cone, while at the same time make adjustments
so that both creased edges line up with the sides of the flattened cone.
When the creased edges both line up with the sides of the cone as it is
flattened, one creased edge will be inside the folded cone while the other
creased edge will be visible on top. (This is the hard part, the part which
some use math for)
5) Cut off top of the flattened cone so that the whole top edge of the
flattened cone is six papers thick.
6) Carefully cut notches and points and holes.
7) Open and repeat making improvements as you experiment.

Good Luck,

Mark