Re: Request for opinions re: Arts Education

---------

From: D. Sterner (dsterner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 14:31:22 PDT

Jeanni,
http://search.npr.org/cf/cmn/cmnpd01fm.cfm?PrgDate=09/20/2000&PrgID=5 This
link is the broadcast from September 20, 2000 on TALK OF THE NATION. Once
the page opens scroll down to
OUR TWO: What's the Value of Arts Education? and select the speed connection
appropriate for your computer. It is an rmm file and requires a player like
"real player" to hear the audio of the original broadcast. Do you have real
player? You can download it at http://www.realplayer.com

In short, ELLEN WINNER *Researcher, Project Zero, Harvard Graduate School of
Education defends art education as NOT having to improve the SAT scores (or
otherwise) but rather to improve human beings in their understanding of
themselves and their place in the world through their exploration of art,
ideas and images.

As the PERCEIVED step-child in education some people feel that if the arts
can't help kids in math and verbal test scores it ought to be nixed from the
curriculum as it serves no purpose. Art educators defend the purpose of
arts in education ....and the banter continues. It makes for good
listening; Have a notepad on hand.
-=deb=-