Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Arts in Kentucky

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 07:59:29 PDT

Recently I have shared information about a district in Kentucky. Kentucky
just celebrated (!?) its 10th anniversary of the Kentucky Education Reform
Act - KERA... This included everything - testing, services, attendance,
rewards, sanctions, performance assessments, math portfolios, writing
portfolios - boy - half of my teaching career!!

Anyway a parent put an article in my box on KERA and Arts Education - The
Christian Science Monitor - Tuesday, October 3, 2000.
"Do All Schools Need The Arts? Kentucky Says Yes." thought some might be

Kentucky requires arts as part of its academic program, and mandates
testing... and high schoolers have to have a credit in the visual or
performing arts to graduate...