Arts in Kentucky

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 07:59:29 PDT

Recently I have shared information about a district in Kentucky. Kentucky
just celebrated (!?) its 10th anniversary of the Kentucky Education Reform
Act - KERA... This included everything - testing, services, attendance,
rewards, sanctions, performance assessments, math portfolios, writing
portfolios - boy - half of my teaching career!!

Anyway a parent put an article in my box on KERA and Arts Education - The
Christian Science Monitor - Tuesday, October 3, 2000.
"Do All Schools Need The Arts? Kentucky Says Yes." thought some might be
interested...

http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2000/10/03/fp20s1-csm.shtml

Kentucky requires arts as part of its academic program, and mandates
testing... and high schoolers have to have a credit in the visual or
performing arts to graduate...

Ellen