Re: College Suggestions

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 05:13:32 PDT

Thread - a good design school for my daughter

Savannah College of Art and Design is the largest art school in the country
even thought it is just 20ish years old. They prepare students TO GET A
JOB, and will say that up-front. The 30 some computer animation majors
they had a few years ago were all hired before graduation with entry level
jobs from $35,000 to $55,000 to start. Even painting majors are required to
take marketing. I know they have a school of furniture design.

Every summer they offer a week of study for HS teachers for about $300
which includes tuition, room and parties. About 400 educators attend. I
have done it twice and been mightily impressed. I'd love to be back in
school and go there. The 70 degree climate sounds like a huge plus as well.

A downside...they are not heavily endowed because their alumni base is
young. You can easily get a $10,000 (over 4 years) scholarship but if you
are eligible for a Pell grant, you cannot look to them for "school money"
beacause they have none.

The college has literally revitalized the whole town. An old Kroger is the
new library. The fifties movie theatre became the auditorium, two old (but
nicely restored) motels with swimming pools are dorms, the old train
roundhouse became the computer center, the apothocary shop is a tea room,
the merchantile building is the bookstore, old elementary schools and the
armory are studio and classroom spaces. Every renovation is artful and the
woodwork and elegant stairways are beautifully restored (historic
preservation is a major). A SCAD minibus route connects all. It is an
incredibly creative way to build a school and the community - a concept
worthy of a creative school.

I'd encourage a trip. Check out the Pulaski Hall dorm. An elegant old
house on one of the squares. My room had two floors with a spiral
staircase, full kitchen and four two-story Palladian windows with drawing
tables beneath for each of the roommates.

In short, I am nothing but impressed.
Christa