RE: children's art history book

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 12:49:47 PDT

Sorry this took me a couple of days. I haven't been able to get into our
library to pull the books.

For a child that young I would start with Laurence Anholts' books about
different artists.

The DK Eyewitness Art books are good they break up the information into
small chucks flip through and stop when struck by the art. Read the
paragraph move on to something else. One warning these books may contain
nudes.

Meet the Authors and Illustrators by Deborah Kovacs and James Preller can be
used with the artists' books.

The Getting to Know the Worlds Greatest Artists series by Mike Venezia can
be shared as a read aloud (though not in one sitting probably) with a 1st
grader.

The What makes a ______ a ________ series from the Metropolitan Museum of
Art is set up in "chapters" about different works, a good one on one
sharing/read aloud.

Portraits of Women Artists for Children series by Robyn Montana Turner is
also available.

I personally find the text in the Art for Children by Ernest Rabott series
difficult to read, but it is also good.

Another series also called Art For Children published by Chelsea House has
detective adventure stories were the main character(s) (children)
investigate different artists in each book. For example two kids find a
painting stored in an attic. Is it a Van Gogh? The travel to view other art
work by the artist, compare those pieces to their piece. The do other kinds
of research. They are chapter books, and defiantly for the experienced
listener or at least 4th grade level reader.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator