RE: Art Teacher Preperation

---------

From: Julie Brady (7.jbrady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 09:01:45 PDT

------_=_NextPart_001_01C02E1C.64FD2E90

I am just sifting through all my emails and I became interested in this
thread. I have a bachelors in elementary and middle school education. I
also have a minor in Fine Arts with an endorsement to my teaching license.
The majority of my art training came not from college (although my classes
there were good), but more from workshops, museum classes, private classes
in other people's studios and training from Very Special Arts. I am
currently teaching full time Art for grades K-8. I feel that there is not
any one perfect track to follow to become an effective Art teacher. One
definately should have training in both art and education, but I feel that
the "order" and the name of the degree is not as significant as what you get
out of it and how you share your knowledge. I have worked with other Art
teachers that have BFA's, MFA's and even PhD's that were not good teachers,
but had a huge wealth of knowledge. I may not have as much "accredited"
training in the Arts as some people feel that I should, but I do know that I
am knowledgable, I love the Arts and I love teaching. My two cents.

Julie

------_=_NextPart_001_01C02E1C.64FD2E90

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2652.35">
<TITLE>RE: Art Teacher Preperation</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am just sifting through all my emails and I became =
interested in this thread.&nbsp; I have a bachelors in elementary and =
middle school education.&nbsp; I also have a minor in Fine Arts with an =
endorsement to my teaching license.&nbsp; The majority of my art =
training came not from college (although my classes there were good), =
but more from workshops, museum classes, private classes in other =
people's studios and training from Very Special Arts.&nbsp; I am =
currently teaching full time Art for grades K-8.&nbsp; I feel that =
there is not any one perfect track to follow to become an effective Art =
teacher.&nbsp; One definately should have training in both art and =
education, but I feel that the &quot;order&quot; and the name of the =
degree is not as significant as what you get out of it and how you =
share your knowledge.&nbsp; I have worked with other Art teachers that =
have BFA's, MFA's and even PhD's that were not good teachers, but had a =
huge wealth of knowledge.&nbsp; I may not have as much =
&quot;accredited&quot; training in the Arts as some people feel that I =
should, but I do know that I am knowledgable, I love the Arts and I =
love teaching.&nbsp; My two cents.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Julie</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>