Re: art vs. craft

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 05:20:08 PDT

Artists are fighting all the time online about definitions of art, of
crafts....what's "fine" art? and, when is art no longer art because it lacks
originality? Egads......

I'll propose that crafts are those things elementary home room teachers can
throw together geared such that most/all works will finish looking like the
original, (for it is the only outcome the home room teacher hopes to
evaluate), but more specifically is that which plants the supposition that
perhaps an art teacher on staff is not really necessary. Not necessary,
because not only were the projects completed, but no art/aesthetic concepts
and principles are recognized to even exist as important or necessary. In
other words, taught with ignorance....taught, not knowing art teachers teach
more!

I think if we do not understand THAT possibility in a definition of craft,
YE mights find oneself not nearly as necessary in your school!

Perhaps we might see a craft as that which can be executed by rote, minus
creative inclination. In fact, creative inclination might be seen as that
rebellious uprising needing to be stifled lest class management see the more
submissive fail to stay on task.

Now...a craft becomes an art form (perhaps) when encouragement of
consideration can take into account our dearly loved art principles of
composition, design, and applied skills striven toward excellence... and
thus, can be critiqued as having lived up to such considerations or not.
"Crafts" can be thrown together with the end result having so much priority
that the adults involved will even finish it for the students to guarantee
success! Individual aesthetic growth is not understood as possible or as
important. Thus, "making" crafts is more an activity bathed in aesthetic
ignorance, an ignorance thereafter rewarded, thus encouraged to propagate.

Larry Seiler
http://lseiler.artistnation.com