Re: art vs. craft

---------

From: JUDY GROCHOWSKI (jfgro_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 22:17:46 PDT

Hi,
I'd like to weigh in on this one just to say that I have been (as a primarily
3D teacher over the last several years) irritated whenever the elitism of the
so-called 'high' or 'fine' art, as opposed to, say, ceramics and other media was
touted. I knew a teacher who really did a disservice to a student who was soooo a
clay person (and who used all sorts of critical thinking and higher level skills as
she sought to express herself meaningfully in her work), by putting her down with
some very insensitive and devastating remarks, all rooted in this bias. I hate the
idea that if they're 'working with their hands' in this way, it's somehow not as
important as translating imagery through drawing or painting!
I believe we discussed this a while ago, but can't remember the origin of this
bias....can anyone tell me?
Judy

So back to the original question: Where does art stop and craft begin.