Re: art vs. craft

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 19:25:53 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
*
> When I worked with metals, gold, silver, pewter, brass, copper, etc., making
> jewelry, holloware, music boxes, boxes, processional crosses, etc., I NEVER
> followed directions with a specific outcome or product or even somewhat
> copied from an example or sample. Every piece I made was an original one time
> design. I was very experimental then as I am now with my painting. I even won
> a sculpture award once. I was, however, referred to as a crafts person. Some
> areas referred to people such as myself as designer crafts persons. But be
> that as it may we were considered crafts persons.

Excellent point, Reatha...I have also been assigned the name of
"craftsperson" just because I "do" art...for heaven's sake...and I don't
mass-produce either. What is one person's "craft" is another's "art". There
are so many distinctions that you just can't generalize the answer. We need
to hear from our crafters' points of view.

> So back to the original question: Where does art stop and craft begin.
> Webster seems to equate them. > Reatha

And my money's on Webster. Toodles.....