Paper Mache Animals

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 15:59:37 PDT

We are working with classroom teachers from 5 elementary schools to
integrate more art into their curriculum. Their students' work will be on
display at the museum in the spring. A teaching team with 1st/2nd split want
to use an animal theme that they can integrate into their language arts
(Eric Carle author study), Social Studies (our community and environment),
and Science (life cycles). We are going to do several small projects in
their classrooms incorporating Art History, Aesthesis and Art Criticism.
For their big project the teachers would like to make paper mache animals.
These will be on display during the exhibit. I do not want to display them
on pedestals or tables, because we will also have ceramics. Given the space
we have doing both on tables would be too crowded. We can hang them from the
ceiling. I was thinking when we build the "skeleton" could a parent/teacher
could attach a hanging wire sticking up from the middle. The wire could be
used by the exhibit staff to hang the finished piece from our ceiling. Do
you think this would work, I worry about adding a string or wire to later
layers that it might rip out.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator