Re: art vs. craft

---------

Batmom44_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 15:32:03 PDT

In a message dated 10/3/00 11:07:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
maryann@brightring.com writes:

<< With no intention to start another thread here, who's to say what is art
and
> what is craft and where the two meet or end? As long as there's a
difference
> in outcome product between each with paint and shape, I see no problem. In
> fact, I have no problem with crafts....do you? Toodles.......

I think knowing the difference between art and craft is what matters. Craft
follows directions with a specific outcome or product, often somewhat copied
from an example or sample. Art has more emphasis on process and the result
of exploring and experimenting with materials. >>

I think this is an interesting conundrum that you have stirred up, Bunki.
When I worked with metals, gold, silver, pewter, brass, copper, etc., making
jewelry, holloware, music boxes, boxes, processional crosses, etc., I NEVER
followed directions with a specific outcome or product or even somewhat
copied from an example or sample. Every piece I made was an original one time
design. I was very experimental then as I am now with my painting. I even won
a sculpture award once. I was, however, referred to as a crafts person. Some
areas referred to people such as myself as designer crafts persons. But be
that as it may we were considered crafts persons.
Now that I am coordinating Art in the Park three times a year for my guild, I
have discovered another term. People who make things such as the cotton ball
bunnies described in another post refer to themselves as crafters.

So back to Bunki's original question: Where does art stop and craft begin.
Webster seems to equate them.
Reatha