Re: art vs. craft

---------

_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 08:13:31 PDT

On 10/3/00 7:21 AM, Bunki Kramer at bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us wrote:

> With no intention to start another thread here, who's to say what is art and
> what is craft and where the two meet or end? As long as there's a difference
> in outcome product between each with paint and shape, I see no problem. In
> fact, I have no problem with crafts....do you? Toodles.......

I think knowing the difference between art and craft is what matters. Craft
follows directions with a specific outcome or product, often somewhat copied
from an example or sample. Art has more emphasis on process and the result
of exploring and experimenting with materials.

Here's an example of art and craft using cotton balls as the main material
===

Craft - Cotton Ball Bunny:
Cover a cardboard shape of a bunny with cotton balls and glue. Then add
construction paper pink ears. Glue on 2 buttons for eyes. Product: a fuzzy
cotton ball bunny. Though no two will look exactly alike, and some may even
have unique additions like ribbon or paint, they are all bunnies using the
same basic directions and materials. The expectation is to make a bunny.

Art - Cotton Ball Gluing:
Provide cotton balls, glue, buttons, cardboard or other materials on hand.
Child combines his choice of materials. Might make a bunny, a collage, or
something no one thought of before. The expectation is to create using
specific materials, with no planned outcome.

Personally, I enjoy both art and craft, but I like knowing the difference,
and I like the kids to know the difference too. And the parents.