Re: B.A. and Substitutes

---------

lburke_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 07:09:49 PDT

Hi Olivia,
I don't have an idea of where to go in LA but I will say I am having the
same problem and I can share the route I have taken over the past few
months to get the information on these programs. I live in Virginia and
after months of looking on the internet at all the schools in Washington
DC. , Maryland (where I work in publishing) and Virginia, I found I am
going to probably go back to George Washington University in DC. where I
received my BA in Fine Arts, photography. GW has a program that is called
the DELTA program that is looking for professionals who have been working
in their chosesn field for over 3 years. I have been a Photography Editor
for 12 years. Graduated in 1982 from GW. and freelanced for awhile. You
can get a M.Ed. in their program where all classes meet from 6-9 in the
evening for us workers. What I like about the program and I am only
telling you this so you can try to find a similar one ( I've researched
many) is that you can get certified first and then continue to get your
M.Ed. in the same program by continuing to take 4 more classes. My goal is
to enter the program for certification and get a teaching job ASAP but
continue on my Masters. GWU has an accelerated program that you can get
certified in 16 months. But I know of working art teachers in Virginia
that have jobs in the school system after taking two classes and still
working toward certification. Sometimes these types of programs are hard
to find on the university websites. I looked under Fine Arts, Education
and under Certificate degrees and then under Graduate degrees. And I did
this for all 3 states! Finally when something looked ok, I would call the
head of the dept. Most Universities did not offer good evening or summer
schedules so it was important to me to find a university that had a program
dedicated to working professionals. I am a single parent of two and work
full time so this was a priority for me. I was also referred to a book put
out by The College Art Association, which has a website. The website is
http://www.collegeart.org, it is located in New York. It identifies
masters programs across the country. The have two separate books for
$20.00 each, but it takes 6 weeks to get them. That is too long for me
since I want to enter grad school in the spring. But check out their
website. Also, Borders Books has many, many books on programs. I spent 4
hours at Borders with the help of a sales person and wrote down every
school program in my area. Most of the books available have e-mails, dept.
heads etc. and then you can e-mail the Art Ed program heads for more inf.
Good luck, Linda

"Olivia Armas" <olivia_armas@hotmail.com> on 10/02/2000 06:18:50 PM

Please respond to "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>