Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: B.A. and Substitutes


Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 07:09:49 PDT

Hi Olivia,
I don't have an idea of where to go in LA but I will say I am having the
same problem and I can share the route I have taken over the past few
months to get the information on these programs. I live in Virginia and
after months of looking on the internet at all the schools in Washington
DC. , Maryland (where I work in publishing) and Virginia, I found I am
going to probably go back to George Washington University in DC. where I
received my BA in Fine Arts, photography. GW has a program that is called
the DELTA program that is looking for professionals who have been working
in their chosesn field for over 3 years. I have been a Photography Editor
for 12 years. Graduated in 1982 from GW. and freelanced for awhile. You
can get a M.Ed. in their program where all classes meet from 6-9 in the
evening for us workers. What I like about the program and I am only
telling you this so you can try to find a similar one ( I've researched
many) is that you can get certified first and then continue to get your
M.Ed. in the same program by continuing to take 4 more classes. My goal is
to enter the program for certification and get a teaching job ASAP but
continue on my Masters. GWU has an accelerated program that you can get
certified in 16 months. But I know of working art teachers in Virginia
that have jobs in the school system after taking two classes and still
working toward certification. Sometimes these types of programs are hard
to find on the university websites. I looked under Fine Arts, Education
and under Certificate degrees and then under Graduate degrees. And I did
this for all 3 states! Finally when something looked ok, I would call the
head of the dept. Most Universities did not offer good evening or summer
schedules so it was important to me to find a university that had a program
dedicated to working professionals. I am a single parent of two and work
full time so this was a priority for me. I was also referred to a book put
out by The College Art Association, which has a website. The website is, it is located in New York. It identifies
masters programs across the country. The have two separate books for
$20.00 each, but it takes 6 weeks to get them. That is too long for me
since I want to enter grad school in the spring. But check out their
website. Also, Borders Books has many, many books on programs. I spent 4
hours at Borders with the help of a sales person and wrote down every
school program in my area. Most of the books available have e-mails, dept.
heads etc. and then you can e-mail the Art Ed program heads for more inf.
Good luck, Linda

"Olivia Armas" <> on 10/02/2000 06:18:50 PM

Please respond to "ArtsEdNet Talk" <>

To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <>

Subject: B.A. and Substitutes

I've been on the list for a few weeks now and have found it to be so
informative and inspiring. This thread on artist/teacher credentials has
motivated me to share some of my thoughts with you all.

First, I received my B.A. in Art from U.C.L.A. almost ten years ago. This
past decade I have explored the various careers that art has to offer from
working as an individual artist to various roles in galleries, museums, and
schools. After all my experiences, I decided that what I really wanted to
do was teach.
However, due to family reasons, I want to stay in California and there is
art education graduate program in this state!!! Am I wrong? If so, please
tell me cuz I have looked pretty darn hard. I've decided to get my M.Ed
instead and learn everything I can about being a good teacher and then get
my art teaching credentials from there. I'm even open to returning to
museums again, too. This just feels really right to me.
I am not interested in doing the emergency credential route. I would feel
better working hard to feel as qualified as I can be and then go out there.
That's just me. As for my artwork, the learning and practicing never
stops. I didn't expect for my undergrad to teach me everything I need to
know. There's also debates about B.A. vs. B.F.A., but I'm happy with my
choice. A lot of my life-long learning has to do with my own enthusiasm
love of learning. I have also strived to always make art and be in at
one exhbition with new work per year since graduating from college. So good...

> >From: "L. P. Skeen" <> wrote:
> >I find it fascinating that you have to have a certificate to substitute
> >Speaking of subs, FYI to the list, there is now organizing a national
> >substitute teacher's association and they are moving fast...There is a
>website, I think....if I can find it I will let you know.

I am now substitute teaching in the San Bernardino area. In California,
need a Bachelor's Degree, pass the CBEST, and go through a background check
to be a sub. Once all this is done, you can apply for a 30-day substitute
teaching permit which allows you to teach in any state classroom for no
than 30 days per classroom. By the way, that website for substitute
teachers is It is run by the Utah State University's
Substitute Teachers Institute.
Other websites are and

I am now working on my essay for graduate school and am looking forward to
exploring the classroom as a substitute. I want to be a good substitute.
Any tips? I've already notified the district of my strengths in Art and
Spanish. Thank you all for sharing career paths and knowledge. I look
forward to our continuing interaction.

* Olivia
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at

You are currently subscribed to artsednet as:
To unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst('Email.Unsub')