Re: Weaving with young children

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 07:24:35 PDT

skygeoff@home.com wrote:

> I have a cute idea for weaving with kindergarten or first grade. Have them wind
> the warp tightly around a styrofoam meat tray the long way . Wrap it around about
> seven times so the warp threads are about half an inch apart. Tape yarn on the
> back with masking tape to hold it in place. (You could do this step for them but
> I've had first graders do it successfully.) Then they weave about a dozen pieces
> of pre-cut yarn (cut it about 10" long depending on the width of the meat tray) at
> the bottom of the tray. <snip>

This reminded me of something I learned in a class but never used
because it's too elementary for my students. Hope I can explain it well;
will try to find a handout at school:

Cut slits about 1/2" apart along the perimeter of a paper cup; cut them
to within about 1/2" of the bottom of the cup. These are your "warps."
The student then weaves around and around these "warps" with yarn.
Comes out looking like a basket. The warps can be flexed outward for
more variety. For older kids you can probably cut the slits closer
together. I don't think it's crucial to measure the distance.

Don't know if this is appropriate for your tiny ones. You've got more
nerve than I do, teaching them to weave!

Maggie