Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

B.A. and Substitutes


From: Olivia Armas (olivia_armas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 15:18:50 PDT

I've been on the list for a few weeks now and have found it to be so
informative and inspiring. This thread on artist/teacher credentials has
motivated me to share some of my thoughts with you all.

First, I received my B.A. in Art from U.C.L.A. almost ten years ago. This
past decade I have explored the various careers that art has to offer from
working as an individual artist to various roles in galleries, museums, and
schools. After all my experiences, I decided that what I really wanted to
do was teach.
However, due to family reasons, I want to stay in California and there is no
art education graduate program in this state!!! Am I wrong? If so, please
tell me cuz I have looked pretty darn hard. I've decided to get my M.Ed
instead and learn everything I can about being a good teacher and then get
my art teaching credentials from there. I'm even open to returning to
museums again, too. This just feels really right to me.
I am not interested in doing the emergency credential route. I would feel
better working hard to feel as qualified as I can be and then go out there.
That's just me. As for my artwork, the learning and practicing never really
stops. I didn't expect for my undergrad to teach me everything I need to
know. There's also debates about B.A. vs. B.F.A., but I'm happy with my
choice. A lot of my life-long learning has to do with my own enthusiasm and
love of learning. I have also strived to always make art and be in at least
one exhbition with new work per year since graduating from college. So good...

> >From: "L. P. Skeen" <> wrote:
> >I find it fascinating that you have to have a certificate to substitute
> >Speaking of subs, FYI to the list, there is now organizing a national
> >substitute teacher's association and they are moving fast...There is a
>website, I think....if I can find it I will let you know.

I am now substitute teaching in the San Bernardino area. In California, you
need a Bachelor's Degree, pass the CBEST, and go through a background check
to be a sub. Once all this is done, you can apply for a 30-day substitute
teaching permit which allows you to teach in any state classroom for no more
than 30 days per classroom. By the way, that website for substitute
teachers is It is run by the Utah State University's
Substitute Teachers Institute.
Other websites are and

I am now working on my essay for graduate school and am looking forward to
exploring the classroom as a substitute. I want to be a good substitute.
Any tips? I've already notified the district of my strengths in Art and
Spanish. Thank you all for sharing career paths and knowledge. I look
forward to our continuing interaction.

* Olivia
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at