Re: Weaving with young children

---------

From: Kay Broadwater (kbroadwater_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 14:07:36 PDT

Regarding Weaving:

Well- I would like to share an idea that I came up with many years ago when I
was working with a group of special education students. These children had one
period of art per week as a class and then another period of art when they were
mainstreamed into a regular class. We were doing paper weaving in the regular
class and the special education students were having a very difficult time
catching on. So, I decided to construct a large loom using two pieces of wood
with holes drilled in for the top and bottom and strung with rope for the
warp. We then laid the loom down and used big Kindergarten blocks to hold it
up off the floor. This became known as "The Human Loom" and the children would
actually crawl under- over- under- over with a thick piece of ribbon in their
hand. It was very exciting and really helped the kids to understand the
concept of weaving. When the students returned to the regular class they were
very successful and proud of their weaving knowledge. We did this to music and
the loom was used for many years and was very popular!
I just thought this idea might be helpful for anyone trying to teach little
ones to weave!

Best, Kay